Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Blog Post Assignment #1



What do you want your students to know?
I want my students to know as much as their little brains can hold. I wouldn't want my kids to come into my class and not get taught nothing,but what the state has required them to learn. I think that kids should be inspired to learn everything that there is to offered to them. I want students to ask as many questions about things they are learning about until they can't think of anything else. I want students to know that they are welcome to ask me anything, and that I would try my best to give them the correct answer. Kids need to know that when they enter my class that it can feel like a second home to them and that the classroom is a safe zone for all of them. I want them to know that no matter what I will be there for each and every one of them, to encourage and push them all the to their goal.

What do you want your students to do?
I want students to come into my classroom ready to learn something new and exciting. I want them to work as hard as they can to strive for success. I want them to trust that no matter what new material I will be presenting them with, I will help them until they all understand it. Students will need to do their classwork and homework to refresh their memory of what was gone over that day in class.

What will be your primary way of teaching your students what you want them to know and to do?
I want to incorporate all different things into my teaching. I want to put the Arts into a lot of things I do in the classroom. I have found that kids do not all learn the same way, some are book smart while others need to be shown visually. Some students learn by listening instead of reading to learn different things.

What tools would you use in the classroom?
I would like for the children to have an opportunity to have a computer or an iPad. I am wanting to teach 3rd grade and I think using computers would help them understand things a little bit better, maybe having them play games that go along with the assignment. A Smart Board would be something that I would like to use, just to engage kids to participate a little more in the activities.

What role will students play in your classroom?
All students should be treated equal, no one should be singled out. No child should be treated different,whether it be race,gender,sex,or even disability. I believe that if a child is in your classroom then you treat them all the same, and treat them as you would want to be treated. Students will respect you more when they see that none of their classmates are getting special treatment by the teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Brittnee!
    It seems that we have alot in common. I am also interested in becoming an Elementary teacher. We share some of the same goals and dreams about our future classroom. I also would love for every child to own an laptop or ipad. I feel that technology in the classroom has really progressed and has become very common. Hopefully we both can achieve our goal one day and become Star Teachers! I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Brittnee! It's great that you want to create a safe space for your students. A lot of kids hate going to school because they're afraid they'll be bullied.

    Also, as technology in classrooms becomes more common and more affordable, hopefully you WILL get to have iPads and a SMART board in your classroom. iPads hold so much potential for learning. There are all kinds of educational apps that kids can use to learn, and those apps definitely make learning fun!

    There are a few suggestions I'd like to make. First, you should go back and write about parts 1 and 2 of the assignment. You should provide a link to Krissy Venosdale's post and give a summary of her vision for her school. You should also link to the video about Sigata Mitra and talk about that a little bit! Also, in the first paragraph you say, "I wouldn't want my kids to come into my class and not get taught nothing". Nothing should be changed to "anything"! You don't want to have double negatives in a sentence.

    Good luck with the rest of the course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I want my students to know as much as their little brains can hold." What are you talking about? Facts? Dates? Theories? Skills?

    "I would try my best to give them the correct answer." Really? Why not help them find the "correct answer" on their own?

    "I think using computers would help them understand things a little bit better, ..." The third grade teachers I know who use computers/iPads with their kids would disagree. They wold say "a whole lot more" rather than "a lithe bit better".

    "All students should be treated equal, no one should be singled out. No child should be treated different,..." Equal and different are not the same thing. You will finf that you must treat students differently because they are different. In the past we failed to recognize that very important fact!

    See Rebecca's comments.

    ReplyDelete